Reports to: Executive Director
Time Commitment: 10 hours/week
The Armory Youth Project (AYP) part-time Maintenance Worker is responsible for a variety of tasks related to maintaining and improving the facility and equipment. These tasks include the cleanliness and appearance of the facility interior, identifying and addressing immediate operational and/or safety concerns and ensuring that tools and materials are in good working order and available when needed. The Worker may perform maintenance functions directly, work with other employees and/or identify tasks to be completed by external contractors (plumbing, electrical, etc.) Essential job functions include: painting, varnishing, staining work utilizing brushes, rollers and spray guns, basic carpentry for purposes of repair, replacement of light bulbs and routine HVAC preventive maintenance work. Independently or in conjunction with intern or volunteer janitorial staff, the Worker will follow a daily, weekly and monthly cleaning regiment and may also be responsible for setting up and tearing down special furniture arrangements in support of flexible use of space for regular programs or special events. While a primarily routine work schedule will be established, support for certain events and program may require both daytime and evening hours during the weekend and occasional weekends. If competing priorities arise, the Administrative Assistant or Executive Director will be responsible for coordinating task assignments and the required timing. The Maintenance/Janitorial Worker will represent the AYP to program participants, visitors and donors and therefore will maintain a positive and professional demeanor in all circumstances.
- Takes initiative to identify malfunctions and performs a wide variety of general and semi-skilled maintenance activities (carpentry, painting, janitorial and electrical) in support of planned programming and within established deadlines.
- Completes preventive maintenance tasks in accordance with the established calendar.
- Installs system component parts, classroom and office equipment and facility components (lighting, HVAC, alarms, plumbing, security, electrical panels, etc.) in order to ensure a safe environment.
- Adheres to safety practices related to hand tools, equipment and hazardous materials.
- Coordinates with skilled trades persons to complete projects efficiently.
- Responds quickly to accidents and emergency situations during and after hours to resolve immediate safety hazards.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing or vacuuming them.
- Clean building by gathering and emptying trash, follow re-cycling procedures and keep external garbage area and bins clean.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors.
- Dust and polish furniture; dust walls, machines and equipment.
- Vacuum upholstery and use cleaning solutions to remove stains.
- Service, clean and supply restrooms.
- Shovel snow from sidewalks and sprinkle salt on walkway surfaces.
- Set up, arrange and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, etc. to prepare the facility for events and meetings.
- Keep the storage room for janitorial supplies and tools in good order.
- Follow established daily, weekly and monthly schedules for the routine completion of specified tasks.
- Notify the Administrative Assistant or Executive Director of any system, furniture or fixture needing repair.
- Establish and follow ordering and inventory procedures to ensure necessary supplies and tools are available to complete assignments.
- Orient volunteers and interns, assigned to assist in these duties, with regard to established routines and methods.
- Offer suggestions to the immediate supervisor as to methods or additional tasks that will improve the cleanliness and function of the facility.
- Prepares written reports for the purpose of documenting repair status, activity logs, etc.
- Perform duties as required which are related to the cleanliness and maintenance of the facility.
- Actively participate in staff meetings.
- Actively participate in discussion of work performance.
- Complete any other duties assigned by Executive Director.
- Has knowledge of Jesus Christ and seeks to advance a personal relationship with Him. OR, is committed to supporting the Mission of the AYP.
- Has basic building maintenance experience related to painting, specialized floor care, carpentry, HVAC and electrical systems.
- Has necessary mathematical and mechanical skills to complete tasks which include measurement and equipment adjustment.
- Successfully completes criminal background and drug screening.
- Has the ability to work independently to complete routine tasks as well as to work as part of a team on other necessary tasks.
- Possesses efficient time management skills and has time availability for some flexibility in work hours related to special events.
- Has the physical ability to do the labor required to accomplish job responsibilities such as, but not limited to lift 50 pounds, bend, stoop, kneel, reach above shoulders, move furniture, climb a ladder and stand for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal and communication skills.